- Three Bass Hit - Pat Martino
- Iron City - Grant Green
- 'Round Midnight - Larry Coryell
- Groovin' High - Kenny Burrell
- Johnny's Place - Jimmy Ponder
- Sunny - Pat Martino
- This Bitter Earth - Jimmy Ponder
- No More Booze, Minor Blues - Larry Coryell
- Work Song - Grant Green
- St. Thomas - Kenny Burrell
This disc takes it name from the 2 tunes from each of these 5 guitar players. 32 Jazz, a New York-based record company, is known for their compilation releases. This has to be one of their better ones. This CD is rich with some of the best Hard Bop guitar playing you will hear. All the players on this release (with the exception of Texan Larry Coryell) are from the northern U.S. industrial cities where Hard Bop was birthed.
The tracks on this disc are raw, urban, funky and hard swinging. This is solid, unsugared guitar playing by some serious practitioners of the instrument. Some classic cuts are included here, such as Pat Martino's "Three Bass Hit" and Grant Green's "Iron City".
This is a great sampler of the best in this genre. If you like it with an edge, give this one a listen.