Check out some of great articles, interviews and reports in our library - guitarists profiles, interviews and reviews of jazz guitarists; playing jazz guitar: theory, notes on performance, playing and composition; guitars articles on guitars, amplifiers and other gadgetry.
Sonny Sharrock: On Improvisation
Free jazz legend Sonny Sharrock talks to Dannette Hill: on improvisation, about different types of improvisers, and the starting points for his improvisations
Wonderful piece; Randell Young talks about soloing, and suggests seven rules to maximise your guitar solo's impact
Saying Goodbye to Tal
Jazz legend Tal Farlow dies of cancer at the age of 77. This edition of JGO will be dedicated to Tal and his music
Martin Taylor interview
Guitarist Martin Taylor talks to Afdhel Aziz on his career, starting out, and the influence of Indian music on his playing
Life on the Love Boat
JGO Editor/Publisher Bob Patterson gives a firsthand account of working and living on a cruise ship. All aboard!
In the Navy
Michael Durig is the guitarist for the US Navy's CINCLANTFLT band. He has some advice for those wishing to try out for a service band
Questions and Answers Bob Patterson answers your questions
- Q&A1: Simplify, Simplify. Why use modal names? are they necessary?
- Q&A2: Think of 'Scale Position' / Sing it! Fret coverage, and improving sight reading
- Q&A3: Sightreading / Altered Dominant 7th / Practice Routines
- Q&A4: Chord soloing
- Q&A5: Wes Montgomery / Transcribing / Archtops / Soundposts
- Q&A6: Playing Octaves / Tendonitis
- Q&A7: Summer Jazz Camps - Where to go for an intensive learning experience this summer?
- Q&A8: Bob takes on a variety of questions on theory, gear, and playing jazz guitar